Muses des Techniques

Ironworks museum
 90170 Etueffont

Vous ne disposez pas du dernier flash player, veuillez le télécharger à cette adresse

Get Adobe Flash player

Ironworks museum

Smithy in the heart of town
The museum paints an accurate portrait of social, family and economic life from the mid-19th century to the present with four generations of local blacksmiths : the Petitjean familly (1843 - 1977).

From horseshoes to edge-tools, with wheel hoops in between, the museum illustrates the diversity of the blacksmith's trade and its close ties with other economic activities.

The Etueffont Ironworks Museum exhibits tools made by the farrier and shows how his life was centred around his worshop and home which were virtually one in the same.

The visit begins by the blacksmith's shop with machinery still in good working condition (bellows, drop hammer), followed by the house with living quarters and barn displaying a wide range of farming machinery used by the blacksmith-farmer-''Master of the Fire''.

An exhibit is devoted to those practising traditional trades (the cabinetmaker, clog maker, tinsmith, shoemaker, barber, forester and coal miner).
A short film introduces visitors to Camille Petitjean, an Etueffont blacksmith from 1907 to 1952.

Forge-Musée d'Etueffont
2 rue Lamadeleine - 90 170 ETUEFFONT
Tel. 00 33 (0)3 84 54 60 41
Opening times
Open from 1 avril - 1 November, every day (except Tuesday) : 2 pm - 6 pm
Nearby places to visit
  • Le Corbusier's Chapel,
  • Mining Museum in Ronchamp,
  • Bartholdi's Lion and the Château ans Museum of Belfort,
  • The ''Ballon d'Alsace''.
Entrance fees
  • Adult : 4 Eur
  • Discounted : 3 Eur
  • 13 to 18 years : 1.50 Eur
  • Less than 13 years : free
  • Family (from an adult with a child over 13 years) : 5 Eur

Group from 10 people
  • Adult : 3 Eur per person
  • Child: 1.50 Eur per person
  • School: 15 Eur per class
  • Free: a driver and an attendant
  • Demonstration of forge : 30 Eur